Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is an International entrance test for admissions in graduate management courses (MBA) in colleges across the globe. The exam is organized & managed by Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), USA. Around 1,700 graduate business schools accept GMAT score for admission to nearly 6,000 management courses around the world. The GMAT exam is available in around 112 countries with 600 test centers worldwide. Currently, almost 2,50,00 candidates take the GMAT exam each year.
Mode of Examination
GMAT is a computer adaptive test (CAT) wherein the difficulty of your next question is decided based on the correctness of your previous responses.
GMAT Exam Date
The GMAT exam is conducted throughout a year. The availability of a particular exam date depends upon the test center chosen.
Language of Examination
GMAT exam can be taken in English language only.
GMAT Exam Eligibility
- Age Limit: GMAT aspirant must have attained a minimum age of 18 years. However, candidates with ages falling in between 13 and 17 years are also eligible, provided they produce a permission letter from their guardian. There is no upper age limit for this exam.
- The candidate must have completed his/her bachelor degree from any recognized institution or university.
- Number of Attempts: GMAT exam applicants must ensure following facts:
- Candidates shall not take the test more than 5-times in a 12-month period.
- There must be at least 16-days gap between two consecutive GMAT attempts.
- An applicant cannot take the GMAT exam more than 8-times in a lifetime.
- Perfect Scorers: Candidates who have achieved a perfect score of 800 in the last attempt cannot take the test for next 5 years at least.
Apart from the above-mentioned criteria, the candidate must check with the institutions in which he/she wishes to take admission.
Test Cities in India
- New Delhi
How to Apply?
Since the GMAT exam is held throughout the year, the registrations for GMAT exams are also open throughout the year.
GMAT Exam applications can be made via either of the following methods:
- By Mail.
- By Phone (Costs US $10 extra).
- By Fax.
- Online Mode.
GMAT Exam Fee
The cost of taking GMAT exam once is US$250 (Rs. 16,250 approx.).
In the case of cancellation, a refund of US $80 will be made only when you cancel the exam at least 7 days before the scheduled date. However, no refund shall be made if the exam is canceled within 7 days of the scheduled date.
The cost of rescheduling the exam is US $50 if rescheduling is done at least 7 days before the selected exam date. On the other hand, if rescheduling is done within 7 days of exam date, US$250 will be charged as rescheduling fee.
This exam fee can be paid by either of the following modes:
- Credit Cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, JCB).
- Debit Cards (Visa and MasterCard ONLY).
Applying Via Post
Candidates willing to apply for GMAT exam via Postal service have to fill up the Scheduling form and send it to the following address.
Attention: GMAT Program
PO Box 581907
Applying through Online Media
- Firstly, visit the GMAT website at mba.com
- Then, click on the tab where The GMAT Exam is written and select the option of Scheduling an Exam.
- If not registered before, the first step must be to register for GMAT exam at https://accounts.gmac.com/Account/Register.
- You’ll have to enter all the relevant information like your personal details, educational details, and professional details.
- Then you must fill where you want to pursue your MBA from along with specializations and future aspirations.
- Once done with the above two steps i.e. the registration process, you can move to the next section and i.e. the Exam Scheduling section.
- Choose the option Schedule a GMAT Appointment followed by Find a Test Center.
- After you select your chosen test location, you will be given an option to select a maximum number of 3 test centers.
- Once you’ve completed this, the next step is to select the dates and slots from the given options. Choose it smartly.
- In order to complete the application procedure, you must do the payment. (Details are given above).
- Take a print out of the confirmation letter after reviewing it carefully.
GMAT Exam Pattern
GMAT exam contains 4 sections in total namely:
- Analytic Writing Assessment.
- Integrated Reasoning.
- Quantitative Analysis.
- Verbal Skill (English Language).
There will be 91 questions that are to be solved in 3.5 hours. Two optional breaks of 8 minutes can be taken as depicted below. The below table describes the pattern in detail.
|SECTION||TIME LIMIT (MINUTES)||NUMBER OF QUESTIONS||QUESTION TYPE||SCORE RANGE|
|Analytic Writing Assessment||30||1||Analysis of an argument||0-6|
|Integrated Reasoning||30||12||Multi-Source Reasoning, Table Analysis, Graphics Interpretation, Two-Part Analysis||1-8|
|Optional 8 Minutes Break|
|Quantitative Analysis||75||37||Data Sufficiency, Problem Solving||0-60|
|Optional 8 Minutes Break|
|Verbal Skills (English Language)||75||41||Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, Sentence Correction||0-60|